Mini Lemon Lime and Poppy Seed Muffins
This week I travelled down to the south of England to meet my boyfriend’s parents for the first time! Scary times!
As you may have seen on my Facebook page, I was freaking out just a little bit, and asked desperately what I should make for them. They knew I baked, and wrote a food blog, so the pressure was on!
After making those, I wanted something else. After looking in the cupboard and seeing I had lemons and limes, these little zesty muffins were born!
They loved them and I had a great time by the sea. The weather was great and I got to go to the beach. I ate fish and chips and lots of ice cream (the way to my heart).
I don’t know why I even worried.
These muffins are great. They are packed with citrus flavour and have a lovely sugary crust on top.
I think that things taste much better when they’re mini.
These muffins would also taste great if you replaced one of the citrus fruits with orange juice and zest. It’s on my to bake list.
- 260g plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 1tsp baking powder
- 80ml sunflower oil
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 3tbsp milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Grease or line and mini muffin pan.
- Mix together the sugar, flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the oil, lime juice, lemon juice, lime zest, lemon zest, egg, vanilla extract, milk, poppy seeds and egg.
- Add in the flour mixture and whisk until it just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Fill the muffin hole 3/4 full and sprinkle with a little bit of sugar and a few poppy seeds.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden and firm to touch.
- Leave for 2-3 minutes to cool in the pan and then transfer onto a wire cooling rack.