Eating together with your family is something that you need to be doing more often if you are a parent. It will help strengthen the bond between you and your spouse and children. If usually go with your family to restaurants to eat or order readymade food to be brought to your house all the time, you need to do something to change that. If you do not know how to cook, you need to take advantage of food recipes. There countless of them out there that you can use to prepare absolutely any meal you want. When you prepare food at home, you can be sure of the ingredients that are being used because if you are in total control. But when you choose to eat in restaurants, you may end up eating unhealthy foods without even realizing. This is because it is hard to know exactly which ingredients are used to prepare those foods.
To help you get started with cooking food on your own, here is a recipe for baked coconut beignets.
Baked Coconut Beignets
If you are crazy for coconuts, this is a recipe that you definitely what to try. It is a very simple recipe that will be perfect for an afternoon tea snack.
- Preparation time: 60 minutes
- Cooking time: 12 minutes
- Servings: 10
- 60ml of warm water
- 400g of plain flour
- 1 packet of active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoonfuls of baking powder
- 60g caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoonful of bicarbonate soda
- 75g of butter, cut into small chunks
- 75g of desiccated coconut
- 180ml of buttermilk
- 1 egg
How to Prepare
- First, you will need to put the yeast, warm water and the sugar in a jug and then set them aside until they become foamy.
- After that, you will need to combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, sugar and coconut in a big bowl. Work the butter in with your fingers until the mixture has a bread crumbs sort of look.
- Next, you will need to mix the egg and buttermilk and then add them to the yeast mixture you prepared earlier. Stir it together with the flour mixture until it forms soft dough. Continue kneading it until it is smooth and elastic. Make sure that it is on a lightly floured surface if you are mixing by hand.
- After that, you will need to oil a large bowl lightly and then place the ball of dough in it, and then cover it and allow it to rest for about 15 minutes in a warm place.
- After the 15 minutes have elapsed, roll the dough out into a large square onto a floured surface until it becomes about one inch thick, and the cut into 14 to 16 squares.
- You will need to put the squares on a lined baking sheet and then cover with it.
- Allow them to rest for about 45 minutes in a warm place and then preheat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Bake the beignet for about 12 minutes until they turn lightly golden and then dust them with powdered sugar.
There you have it! A simple way to prepare yummy baked coconut beignets right from your kitchen. Apart from being a great meal for an afternoon tea snack, it will also be a perfect for meal for dinner parties and casual get together. The guests that you will invite will be very impressed with your cooking skills.