With plenty of slow cooker models emerging on the scene this year, finding the best slow cooker 2017 has really been a daunting task for some people. Now that big occasions of the year are round the corner, you need to do some serious searches, in order to buy a perfect slow cooker for your kitchen.
Slow cookers are relatively new cooking appliances, first of their kind was patented in 1940. Irving Naxton managed to introduce the first model that year. Slow cookers are capable of cooking anything, from stews to roast, chicken, meat, beans chilies and more.
- Why Slow Cooker
- Slow cooker features a secure housing that allows a cooking pot to heat slowly, making sure that all ingredients are cooked to perfection. They have tightly sealed lid at the top that prevents heat loss and also preserves taste, flavor and texture of the cooked food.
- Advancement and changes have made it possible for slow cookers to store food for hours without losing its nutrition value. This is where, people, especially working women find slow cookers quite alluring. They can pour the ingredients before going to work and when they come back, the fresh food is ready to be served. They can also store the leftover and use it for the next meal, and that saves time.
Since the launch of first model, slow cookers kept on gaining popularity. People love the quality of food cooked in a slow cooker. According to NDP Group, in 2014, more than 83% households in America were using slow cookers, and the usage was expected to rise with time. Moreover, the demand of the slow cookers today is twice than what it was in 1980.
What’s the Difference between Ordinary Cooking and Slow Cooking
There is a fair difference between the taste and quality of the food cooked in ordinary pots and slow cooker. Because of the slow heat, the internal temperature inside the slow cooker changes very smoothly, extracting the accurate taste and flavor from every single ingredient.
Another advantage of slow cooker is, the food is heated not only from the bottom but from the sides as well. This makes the temperature of the food even from top to bottom. As a result, the food comes out evenly balanced.
In traditional pots, the food continuously loses its taste and nutrition in the form of steam, but slow cookers normally feature tightly held lids that keep the steam inside. So, the heat loss is minimal and the taste and flavor is preserved.
When it comes to cooking time, there is an apparent difference between the two processes.
- If a recipe takes 15 to 30 minutes in a normal pot, it will take from 1 to 2 hours in a slow cooker (on high) or up to 6 hours (on low).
- Recipes that take between half an hour and 1 hour in normal pans, will from 3 hours (on high temperature) to 7 hours (on low temperature) in slow cooker.
- If your recipe is already slow i.e. takes 1 to 2 hours in ordinary pan, then in slow cooker, it will up to 4 hours on high temperature and up to 7 hours on low temperature.
- For recipes that take up to 4 hours on stovetop, they will easily take up to 6 hours on slow cooker, on high temperature. If you set the temperature to low, the recipe will take up to 12 hours.
Top 5 Best Slow Cookers 2017 (Reviewed)
There are plenty of designs and don’t forget that there are plenty of sizes and other features accompanying these utensils. So, in order to save you from confusion, or making a false decision, we have some top rated slow cookers just for you. And there is every reason to go through our slow cooker reviews 2017, as these crock pots have been ruling the kitchen industry throughout this year.
|Cuisinart MSC-600 3-In-1 Cook Central 6-Quart Multi-Cooker||16 pounds||12 x 19 x 9.5||4-6-7 (quarts)|
|Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S 6-Quart||14.8 pounds||15 x 10 x 15.2||6 (quarts)|
|Hamilton Beach Set 'n Forget Slow Cooker, 6-Quart||14.2 pounds||16 x 10.4 x 16.1||6 (quarts)|
|Crock-Pot 6.5-Quart, Touchscreen Slow Cooker||15 pounds||16.5 x 12.2 x 8.7||6.5 (quarts)|
|Crock-Pot SCCPVL600-R Cook' N Carry 6-Quart||13.5 pounds||9.9 x 15.2 x 15.2||6 (quarts)|
If you’re wondering why Cuisinart MSC-600 3-in-1 Cook Central 6-Quart Multi-Cooker is the best slow cooker 2017 even after being so expensive, you’ll get your answer when you go through its impressive features below. And then you may want to stretch your budget.
Construction wise, MSC-600 3-in-1 Multi-Cooker consists of a stainless steel exterior. There is a control panel showing all functions, along with a blue backlit LCD display at the front.
There is a removable cooking pot made of non-stick aluminium. Cooking pots of other similar models are made of ceramic material, which gives this model an advantage. Aluminum is a good conductor of heat, is more durable and goes through less wear and tears. You can always renew aluminum. So, the cooking pot indicates, the slow cooker will stay with your for a lifetime.
You can see the glass lid on top, but what you cannot see is, it’s a Cool-Touch glass material. The handles are also made of cool-touch material, making it easier to lift the lid even when the food is being cooked. Cuisinart MSC-600 has a wider pot than other models and the product weighs 3-4 pounds more than ordinary slow cooker.
Cuisinart MSC-600 offers all functions that you have seen in any digital slow cooker. It automatically shifts to “Keep Warm” feature as soon as the food is cooked, or your meat reached optimum temperature. All the components and internal parts, including the steaming rack, are removable and can be cleaned effortlessly.
If you need more functions other than slow cooking, the best crock-pot offers two more. It can brown your meat and saute your veggies before finally shifting to slow cooker mode. There is a Cook Central for preps and can prepare desserts for you. It can also help steam your stuffed artichokes and veggies.
Cuisinart MSC-600 can be very slow, because it can stretch the cooking time up to 24 hours. On the other hand, if you need the meal quick, it’ll take just half an hour to do so. There are three temperature settings. You can choose from high, simmer and low. Another amazing feature of this best programmable slow cooker 2017 is the temperature range. It can reach up to 400oF.
- As far as the construction goes, MSC-600 is quite durable and meant for long life. You can imagine how durable it is, when you see it can reach an internal temperature up to 400oF.
- Normally, cheaper slow cooker options have hygiene concerns, because of the quality of material. Cuisinart MSC-600 has all components BPA free. So, there is no need to worry about hygiene.
- Finally, Cuisinart MSC-600 3-in-1 Multi-Cooker offers 3-year limited warranty, which is again an edge over competitors. Other manufacturers offer not more than a years warranty.
- With so much to offer, price is the only downside of this particular model. But that’s understandable too, because you’re getting the best programmable slow cooker with complete range of accessories. Then there is no fear of losing your money because of the warranty. In short, if you can stretch your budget, you should go for this amazing slow cooker.
Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S 6-Quart Programmable Cook and Carry Oval Slow Cooker is one popular model from the makers Crock Pot. It has been ruling the industry for a while now.
The top rated slow cooker offers a 6-quart size which is best for families with 6 to 8 members. Besides, there are some really impressive features to talk about.
First thing’s first, when you cook good food, you want to enjoy it outdoors, don’t you? For picnics and outdoor parties, this slow cooker is the best as you can carry your food in it. If you wonder why, take a look at the lid again. It’s a locking gasket lid that not only saves the taste and smell of the food during journey, but it will also prevent it from messing up. You can keep the food in the crock pot for up to 6 hours.
There is a digital timer, a heating base and a stoneware cooking pot. Cooking is fairly easy as SCCPVL610-S Programmable Cook and Carry Oval Slow Cooker offers just three steps to cook the food.
- Step 1: Simply put the stoneware onto the heating base and add all the ingredients.
- Step 2: Carefully cover the lid and plug your slow cooker to the power source.
- Step 3: Choose appropriate temperature and time from the menu, and wait till the utensil cooks your favorite recipe.
If you think you should stick with the pot to see when your meal will be done, you’re wrong. As soon as the food is cooked, the best programmable slow cooker automatically puts it on the “warm” mode. The slow cooker features 240-watt powerful DC motor that consumes just 120V. Finally, you’re getting 1-year limited warranty, with this amazing cooking utensil.
- If you’re planning a picnic party with your family members, don’t forget to load SCCPVL610-S in your bag pack. It offers 6-quart capacity that can serve more than 7 adults at a time. Just take out the stoneware and present it on the table.
- When you consider you have just 3 steps to follow and your food will be ready to be served. It features a stoneware cooking pot, a heating base and a digital timer.
- Talking about the cooking time, the best slow cooker 2017 takes minimum 30 minutes to prepare your food, and that’s the standard of the industry right now. Cooking time can be stretched up to 20 hours, if you like. To do that there temperature settings available in the control panel.
- 240-watt motor is another plus, because you don’t get such a powerful motor within this price range. It also indicates that the overall components are durable.
- Range of cooking time is a little less, since there are few expensive models that offer up to 24-hour cooking time. But still, most models out there offer less than 20 hours of cooking time.
- Crock-Pot offers 1-year limited warranty which may be a bit of concern for some. But if you’re using the utensil daily, you’ll figure out whether you should claim it or not. Anyhow, 1-year warranty has been common in kitchen appliances.
If you’re too concerned about the price, yet you don’t want to compromise on the quality of the slow cooker, then Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker With Temperature Probe (33967) may be the best choice for you. And the utensil itself has quite a few features other than price.
To start with, Hamilton Beach 33967 Slow Cooker offers you three choices for automatic cooking.
- There is a “Program” option to enable you to set the cooking time according to your requirements. Once the cooking time is up, the slow cooker automatically converts to “Keep Warm” mode.
- Secondly, there is a “Probe” mode, handy for preparing large cuts of meat. You can prepare chicken, lamb chops and roasts in it. All you need is insert the probe then adjust the temperature of the meat to a particular level. Probe mode ensure that your meat shifts to Keep Warm mode automatically, once it’s cooked.
- Finally, Hamilton Beach Set & Forget Slow Cooker also has something for traditional cooks. It offers manual controls at your own temperature. Just choose the temperature from high, moderate and low. Cooking time will be adjusted automatically.
There is a thermometer probe which is becomes handy when you want to know the internal temperature. It keeps you updated with the temperature status, by means of LED display at the control panel. Another positive is its ability to tightly hold the food in position on long journeys. That’s possible due to clip-tight gasket lid. It also keeps the food from messing up.
Hamilton Beach 33967 Slow Cooker can prepare a meal for up to 7 adults at a time. Now, combine capacity with the cooking time (30 minutes – 20 hours) and you’ll find this slow cooker matching your needs.
- With powerful motor, spacious design, durable construction and 1-year warranty, Hamilton Beach Set & Forget Slow Cooker looks like a steel at such a price.
- The slow cooker offers versatility for all kinds of cooks. If you’re new in the kitchen, you can cook difficult recipes just by using program options. All you need is follow the instructions in the recipe book. At the same time, if you’re an experienced chef, the best slow cooker offers complete manual control over your recipes.
- The slow cooker is ideal for picnics and outdoor parties. It keeps food warm for hours and preserves taste and freshness as well, thanks to the clip-tight gasket.
- The slow cooker has a weight of 13.9 pounds. But there are full-grip handles at either side to lift it up.
- This cooker has a limited cooking time range; 30 minutes to 20 hours. Having said that, there is no other smart cooker that offers such a range within this price.
Crock-Pot has been quite popular because of its unique slow cookers. In fact, it’s become synonymous to the name “Slow cooker”. This new programmable touchscreen cooker seems to take the legacy to new levels. Crock-Pot SCVT650-PS 6.5 Quart Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker in Silver looks quite attractive and spacious. That’s due to the polished stainless steel exterior. But it has more than attractiveness. Let’s see what it has on offer.
First and foremost, the slow cooker offers ½ quarts more than ordinary slow cookers, thanks to the oval shaped design. The cooking pot is a traditional Crock-Pot, made of stoneware. It is removable so that you can easily serve your meal without having to pour it in a bowl.
Another noteworthy feature of this slow cooker has been its control panel. It’s all touchscreen and it goes well with the overall design of the utensil. So the problem of stuck button or pressing to hard has been eradicated by this model. You can easily program your cooking time, although there are some built-in programs for common recipes.
Another excellent feature, and quite fairly, most demanded option has been the automatic keep-warm feature. That means, you don’t have to stand close to the pot waiting for the food to cook, as it shifts your cooked meal to warm without troubling you. That also means, that your food will not be overcooked.
Take a look at the handles at either side. They are made of metal and have a silicone stay-cool wrap, so that you can pick up the cooker from the burning stove anytime. No need for cloths or pads.
Stainless steel material is quite durable and a good conductor of heat. Moreover, the material is fairly easy to clean and wash. Since we’re talking about cleaning, the crock that will have your food, is also dishwasher safe. Plus, the glass lid at the top is also easy-to-clean. In short, you hardly spend time in washing and cleaning this amazing cooking utensil.
Well, slow cookers don’t often come with additional accessories and same is the case with this one. But the manufacturers are thoughtful enough to give you a smooth start by offering a bonus cookbook with the product. Lastly, and more importantly, you’re getting 1-year limited warranty with this purchase.
- 6.5 quarts capacity is a big plus when you compare Crock-Pot SCVT650-PS with other slow cookers in the market. It is more spacious and gives you extra room for extra guest.
- Touchscreen control works better for most people, especially new ones in the kitchen. Sometimes, mishandling can result in buttons been damaged, so touchscreen is a better option.
- The cooking time is programmable and offers a time range of 30 minutes – 20 hours. That’s normally the standard of slow cookers.
- Comparing price with the benefits, the best rated slow cooker looks quite cheap.
- The slow cooker has a weight of 15 pounds (without food) which makes it a little heavier than other models. That’s due to the high quality material of the utensil.
- Although the slow cooker is programmable, there is no option for manual control, which may be a concern for some individuals. But new cooks and chefs can cook difficult recipes using programmable cooking time.
If you love to go out for picnics and throw outdoor parties, you may not be too interested in digital slow cooker models. All you need is a slow cooker that offers complete manual control, and this is the reason why Crock-Pot comes up with this amazing cooking pot.
Best thing about this slow cooker is, it falls within the budget of almost every household. On the other hand it gives quite a competition to other models, digital though. From the outside, the oval shaped slow cooker is 15 inch long, 10 inch wide and has a 15 inch high. The exterior has a stainless finish, so it’s quite durable and good for car rides.
Second noteworthy factor is the lid mounted locking system. And that’s why, it’s the best utensil to take your food outdoors. The secure fit lid is properly secured at each end offers tight seal, so that the meal inside cannot lose its freshness and taste. At the same time, it helps prevent the food from messing.
With 6 quart capacity, you can cook a meal for 7 – 8 people at once. It’s so spacious that you can prepare a six pound roast in it. You can set the internal temperature to high, low and warm depending upon your choice. There is an old-fashioned knob at the front with temperature indications. At these temperatures you can prepare anything, from chilies to stews, sauces to roasts, and more!
The stoneware is quite attractive. You can easily transfer it to the refrigerator or present your food on the dinner table in it. The stoneware and glass lid, both are dishwasher safe, so your time for cleaning will be reduced.
- Crock-Pot SCCPVL600-R is tailor made for outdoor parties, picnics and rough handling. It’s a low-price option, and this is why people love to have it for picnics and long journeys, just in case if gets stolen.
- If you look at the material and finish, you’ll figure out that the utensil doesn’t require too much care, unlike those digital models. There is a knob to set the temperature and everything is manual in it. That’s why housewives like it.
- The locking system in this Crock-Pot Model is quite sturdy. You can take your food from one place to another quite conveniently.
- Price is the major factor and most customers have recommended this model due to low price.
- Unlike other Crock-Pot models, SCCPVL600-R lacks warranty from the makers. But still, it has the brand reputation and hundreds of positive customer reviews.
- The model has limited functions. That’s because it’s made for outdoors and you don’t need too much functions for such purposes.
8 Things Should Know When You Purchase a Slow Cooker
It is considered as a lifesaver in the kitchen of many people. What about you? Once you utilize the slow cooker to cook your dishes, it means that you love the delicious meals. And then, if you give a decision – setup a slow cooker for your kitchen or replace the old one, something should be known before buying.
At present, there are many prices and functions of the slow cooker, so the choice is to spend on your needs and preference. To pick up one, you can consider a couple of below factors – the purpose is to bring what the happiest for your kitchen.
- 1. Heating method
A base around a removable insert has been owned by the majority of the slow cookers. Occasionally, the heating is only bottomed. In the case of the fortune, it also goes up the sides – the heat is evenly distributed.
Several models of the slow cooker only have a crock to heat on the top. In this way, the heat will not be distributed, so you must stir the food frequently if you do not want your dish to be burnt.
- 2. Construction
As a whole, most people select ceramic and porcelain. Of course, the metal slow cookers are not short. All they can effectively work, so the selection is based on your preference. Nonetheless, the importance is removable. These slow cooker will easily be cleaned.
- 3. The material of the lid
When utilizing a slow cooker, it is certain that you want to limit opening the lid in order to avoid heating and last the cooking time. Consequently, the best is to select a lid with the glass material, which allows you to consider the inside. In additional that, in comparison with the plastic lid, the glass lid is still better.
- 4. The shape
The slow cookers are two main shapes – round or oval. What should you choose? The decision is to depend on what you’d like to cook in your slow cooker. If you want to cook ribs, chicken, or brisket, the best selection for you will be an oval shape. On the contrary, you want to cook beans or stews – the shape is not important. Depending on your needs, you can pick up a suitable shape.
- 5. The size
You can get a small slow cooker or a large one. If your family has little members, the slow cookers – 3-4 quarts will be ideal for you. Inevitably, a big household should choose a large-capacity slow cooker. The majority of the cooked recipes in a slow cooker fits the medium size ~ 6 quarts – this size is always recommended to use. Depending on your needs offline!
- 6. Sear function
Coming with a sear function, these slow cookers can make sautéing onions or browning meats an easy manner. That means its price – not cheap.
With this function, the slow cooker is designed in 2 manners – sear the food by setting sear before cooking slow and sear a direct way in the insert. By this way, you will not have to wash some pans; instead of frying on the pan. However, if the budget does not enable, you can also skip this function.
- 7. The timer
This feature is necessary for those who are too busy whatever there is an option of cooking times or a digital timer. If you often come back home later than your tend because of work, the cooking timer is convenient. You only need to add the essential ingredients and set cooking time as your recipe. When coming back, a delicious will be waiting for you.
- 8. Warm
You can set the cooking temperature at the high or low level. Aside from that, a couple of the slow cookers have still added another function – warm. The purpose is to keep warm the food at the lower temperature. You can set time so that it can automatically switch to the warm mode. This function is good for you after cooking the food. No matter when you come back, the food is always ready to serve.
5 Surprising Recipes You Can Never Make in a Slow Cooker
1. Spiced Porridge
You like steel cut oats. Is it right? So, there is a recipe for you – a great manner to wake up your relatives and friends in the early morning!
Essentially, you need to prepare ingredients:
- 8 cups of water
- Zest of an orange
- 2 cups of steel-cut oats
- ½ tsp of salt
- ½ cup of dried cranberries
- ½ cup of chopped dates
- ½ cup of chopped apricots
- ½ cup of chopped figs or raisins
- ½ tsp of ginger
- ½ vanilla bean, split, or 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1/8 tsp of cloves
- 1/8 tsp of nutmeg
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp of cinnamon
Toppings: yogurt, fresh fruit, milk, dried fruit, jam, or chopped roasted nuts
Except for zest of an orange and toppings, you combine all ingredients in a pot of the slow cooker; then, you continue setting “low” from 8 to 10 hours after leaving overnight. You get up or not at night – no problem. It requires that you just need to break up the thin film on the surface of the porridge. The next, in the orange zest, you let stir them. You can eat with toppings. So good!!
2. Baked potato
It can say that there is an extremely simple recipe. You only need to install and forget it after making everything at once.
Frequently, most people make from 1-8 potatoes. The necessary ingredients include:
- 1-8 potatoes
- Olive oil
- A square of aluminum foil
- Initially, it prepares the potatoes. Let’s put every potato on a square of aluminum foil! Now, you prick a fork in the potato. Using ½ teaspoon of olive oil rubs on the potato. The next, it sprinkles a little salt after wrapping it a tight way. The remaining potatoes are also done in the same manner.
- For the time being, you can place all potatoes in your slow cooker. Then, you begin baking for 8-10 hours. Of course, after baking for 10 hours, you can enjoy them.
3. Creole chicken and sausage
There is an awesome recipe for your slow cooker. It allows you to supply a bit healthy objects in your meal.
To process this dish, you need:
* The essential ingredients:
- One pound of chicken breasts without bone and skin
- 12 ounces of Andouille sausage – it is cut into small rounds
- ¼ tsp of cayenne
- 2 tsps of Creole seasoning
- 1 cup of chopped onions
- ½ cup of tomato sauce
- 1 ¼ cup of low sodium chicken broth
- Two cloves minced garlic
- Three tbsp of tomato paste
- One can ~ 14.5 ounces of diced tomatoes
* The additional option:
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- Two green-chopped bell peppers
- 1 ¼ ounce can of black beans (they rinsed and drained)
- Salt to taste
- Brown rice to serve
- 2 tbsp of almond butter
- ½ cup of green onions for topping
After preparing all ingredients, you let put all essential ingredients in your slow cooker and cook at “high” for 3 hours or “low” for 6 – 8 hours. Hence, you can directly shred the chicken in your cooker as you desire. Following, you add the additional options, cover the lid, and cook for 20-30 minutes. Wow! A delicious dish is waiting for you!
If you cannot be ignored bacon or sausage, it is certain that you will love this dish – carnitas. The ingredients are not too complicated. The process is relatively simple. Basically, you need to prepare:
- 4-5 lbs of pork shoulder
- Five cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of chipotle hot sauce
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tsp of oregano
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon
- ½ tsp of cayenne pepper
- ½ cup of orange juice
- ½ cup of salsa
- 12 oz of beer
- Juice of two limes
Initially, you place the port shoulder in your slow cooker. The next, you turn to garlic, salt, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne, black pepper, and cinnamon. Let’s pay attention! You must rub all these spices onto the pork. Then, you continue adding orange, beer, lime juice, and salsa. It covers and cooks for 8 hours. Hence, you shred meat and pour a little sauce on the top. This dish can serve with lime juice, avocado, and fresh cilantro.
With the nutrients – sodium, calorie, protein, and carbohydrate, there can consider as a healthy breakfast. The preparation is very simple. The requirement needs to have:
- Four cups of old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup of honey
- ½ cup of canola oil
- 1 cup of flaked coconut
- 1 cup of chopped dried pineapple
- 1 cup of sunflower kernels
- 1 cup of chopped dried mangoes
- ½ tsp of salt
In you slow cooker, you combine oats, coconut, salt, and sunflower kernels. Aside from that, you mix honey and oil until combined. Thus, you stir into the oat mixture. It covers and cooks at the high level for 2 hours. Don’t forget to stir after every 20 minutes. Finally, you remove granola to the sheets of baking and entirely cool after stirring in mangoes and pineapple. So great! You will have a nutritious breakfast.
11 Tips Make You Use a Slow Cooker Best
When mentioning to a slow cooker, the most remarkable feature is the ability to work simply. You only need to add all ingredients and press the start button. However, to cook an efficient way and get a delicious meal, you should not ignore 11 following tips. Let’s keep in your mind when cooking!
- 1. Preheat slow cooker yours
The majority of the people places all things in the slow cooker and begins cooking. Nonetheless, similar to a small oven, it also needs to be heated. Frequently, this step is overlooked.
- 2. Meat must be at the room temperature
Starting to cook with the frozen meat, there is wrong. The meat will be natural and flexible when getting at the room temperature. Consequently, you need to brown meat before putting into your slow cooker.
- 3. But! Browning the meat is not sufficient
You must also remember those morsels in the pan. In fact, the browned bits bottomed pan also contain full of flavor. Of course, they are necessary for your dish. People call the process taking these bits – deglazing. By pouring the wine, stock, or water in a pinch and cooking with the medium temperature, you just need to scrap them by a wooden spoon. What a simple it is!
- 4. Add gingerbread or gingersnap
You may not believe, but the flavor of your dishes will be increased once you add a little gingersnap or gingerbread, in particular, stewing beef, roasting, or sauerbraten. There is a secret. The taste is going to become cooler.
- 5. Using wine that you’d like to
Have you ever cook with wine? Well, it is very great! With a little fairly-dried wine, you will add to your dish in a slow cooker a lot of nuance and flavors in comparison with a low alcohol content or a sugary wine. Anyone wants to cook the dishes the best and you, too. Don’t create a bad dish! Let’s try!
- 6. Select the canned tomato a careful manner
Many people have the habit using tomatoes because of plenty of reasons. Instead of using the fresh tomatoes, most of them select the canned kind. Perhaps, they are handy. However, you should know that the canned tomatoes often have a lot of salts. To use an effective way, you need to have to revive them in the simmering water for 15 minutes.
- 7. Just utilize the quality vanilla in a slow cooker
Those who are using a slow cooker should know that the vanilla flavor will be very obvious. In a slow cooker, in spite of only using a bit vanilla, it burns a quick way. A suggestion for you is Nielsel-Massey.
- 8. Don’t worry when recognizing plenty of liquid
If you see the liquid in your cooker too much, you just need to transfer them to a saucepan; then, it reduces at the medium-high heat (using the result like a glaze or sauce).
- 9. It removes the overcooked vegetables
This tip is to spend for you if you use the slow cooker to make a perfect meat, but, the vegetables are terrible. When your dish is cooked, you let take the whole overcooked vegetables. You can also replace into the newly-cooked vegetable. Unless, you may puree them into the sauce.
- 10. Recognize the limitations of a slow cooker
Only when you heat things, you need to set the high level. If you want to keep the ingredient of vegetables, you avoid installing the slow cooker for 12 hours, except something is hard to shell, squashes, for example. Either peppers or zucchini is going to melt into nothing. It is ideal for peppers, but it is bad for zucchinis. Let’s remember that you will begin low-cooking for 3-4 hours when you cook vegetables in your slow cooker.
- 11. A couple of dishes taste well on the after day
Perhaps, not many people know that some dishes in the restaurant look delicious – they are actually the dishes of the second day, especially, the soups. In fact, the soups always have the better taste on the following day. Even, the meat dish as a brisket or chili is the same.
5 Ways to Help Clean Your Slow Cooker Like New
Obviously, we love the slow cooker because of many reasons – making a simple meal, easy recipe, and saving time. However, everything will not be able to become great like that if your slow cooker is cleaned frequently or let dirt for a long period of time. In this way, it shall cause no less difficult to your cooking. The worse thing is your appliance, which is gradually worn. Therefore, cleaning is necessary for a slow cooker. Essentially, you must know what needs to do. To clean an efficient manner, you can consult 5 following ways. Let’s consider together!
- Way #1 - If you have finished your cooking and wanted to loosen all stuck foods, you fill the water and soap in the slow cooker. Then, you set at the low level for one hour.
- Way #2 - In case your crock pot is still stuck some baked pieces, you let use baking soda and rub on these baked stains. In the kitchen, what a surprising baking soda is!
- Way #3 - Your slow cooker needs a couple of serious TLC, doesn’t it? Well, let’s utilize water, vinegar, and baking soda. Similarly, you also switch the low button – it keeps the above mixture for an hour in order that it cleans everything.
- Way #4 - Have you actually made a mess of your slow cooker? Similar to the way #3, you also add to your slow cooker – water, vinegar, and baking soda and cook them for several hours. The next, each hour, you should rub with a brush. Like that, you can easily remove any leftover stains whether there are the oldest stains.
- Way #5 – The inside of your slow cooker is gross, isn’t it? The best way is to utilize ammonia. You ought to let it a little time to absorb. In this way, you will not be difficult to wipe off.
Simple as that! For the time being, your slow cooker looked as new.
Now that you have read about the top rated slow cookers 2017, you’ve had a fair idea which one’s best for you. And you must have found these slow cooker reviews quite informative too. The reason is, with so many models in the market these days, you need to do a lot of thinking before choosing the best slow cooker for your kitchen. Therefore, we have considered each and every factor a customer should consider.
Even if you’re not satisfied with this list, and are looking for more, here are few things you should keep in mind while shortlisting your options.
- Consider the technical specs, such as functionality, power wattage, material construction, ease-of-use and durability.
- Consider what customers have said about the product. Why they adore it and what made them disappointed.
- Always keep your preferences in mind, whether you should go for a digital model or a manual model. How often you are going to use it and whether you use it at home or outdoors.
- Compare the benefits with your requirements. While price isn’t always the factor to consider, look for the benefits other than price.
- If you cannot make up your mind, or are stuck with two or three options, read slow cooker reviews by experts and see which model performs better.
What are the benefits to utilizing a slow cooker to prepare the dish?
No one cannot resist the flavor of barbecue, stew chicken, or slow-cooking lamb leg. The reason why slow cooking was and is an efficient trend in food. It seems the slow cooker inventing for winter. Their great task is to prepare a delicious dish. The food will be cooked when the temperature drops – sauces, pot roasts, bubbling soups, and stewing with vegetables.
The slow cooker is considered as a versatile device, which suits the vegetarian foods for the daily meals and holiday occasions. You can bring a luxurious and healthy meal for your relatives and friends by adding all ingredients in your slow cooker after setting time like the recipe. Surely, when coming back home, a hot dish will be waiting for you.
You are using a slow cooker, but it is confused on the sizes. You want to know the size of your slow cooker. By what means?
The slow cooker is a wide range of sizes – from 21/2 to 6 quarts. In some recent years, a one-quart slow cooker has released. If your slow cooker is both deep and narrow, it is smaller sizes. On the contrary, the bigger sizes are rounder and wider.
On the other hand, you can also check your slow cooker by using a measuring cup and tracking of how many cups are taken to fill up the rim of the cooker. You should know two cups ~ 1 pint; 4 cups ~ 1 quart. For example, you poured 14-16 cups in your slow cooker. It means that the slow cooker holds 31/2 – 4 quarts.
Which food safety concerns should I pay attention to when utilizing a slow cooker?
Just like any other cooking, the safety is quite important. Although a slow cooker is cooked at the slow speed without needing to attend, it is not hot enough to keep your food at a safe temperature. 200 degrees F are a low setting and 300 degrees F is the high setting while the temperature of the food is between170 degrees F and 280 degrees F. With this temperature, the meat will become less shrink and tender.
Which vegetables are good for the slow cooker?
If you choose to use a slow cooker for cooking, vegetables like carrots, potatoes, or other root veggies have tended to cook slowly in comparison with meat. You can place them on the bottom and around the inside of your slow cooker after putting the meat on the top. You may also add a little veggies that you like for 15-45 minutes after.
I can convert cook times between high and low, can’t I?
No problem! You can consider the below conversions so as to recognize the competitive-cooking times for high and low:
*Note: You should not convert your recipes with the cooking time less than 3-4 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low. Let’s remember!
You have any recommendations for the specific meats and the time to be cooked, haven’t you?
It’s ok! You can consult
- Stew meat – 3Lbs: 4 ¾ hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Pork butt roast – 6-7 Lbs: 7 ½ hours on high or 9 ½ hours on low.
- Beef roast – 3-4 Lbs: 5 ¾ hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Pork loin – 3-4 Lbs: 5 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Bone-in turkey breasts – 6 Lbs: 6 ¼ hours on high or 7 ½ hours on low.
- Whole chicken – 6 Lbs: 6 ½ hours on high or 7 ½ hours on low.