If you are tired of spending a lot of money on packaged and prepared meals, you should give home cooking a try. Even if you have never cooked in the past, you can still be able to prepare nice meals in your kitchen by following food recipes that you can find online for free. You will be able to save a lot of money in the process. You will also save a lot of time when you eat home cooked meals. If you estimate the time that you usually take to drive to a restaurant, order a meal, eat and then go back home, you will find that a lot of time that could be used to do other things is wasted. If you have a very busy schedule, you can prepare food in your kitchen in bulk and eat for a couple of days.
In this article, we look at a recipe that you can use to prepare easy butternut squash risotto right from your kitchen.
Easy Butternut Squash Risotto
You are going to love this risotto if you love the natural sweet flavor of butternut squash. It can be served as a side dish or main course.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 8
- 1/2 of whole butternut Squash (peeled, seeded and diced)
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 of whole diced onion
- 1/2 cup of arborio rice
- 1/8 teaspoon of turmeric
- 6 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of parmesan shavings
- Finely minced parsley (for serving)
How to Prepare
- First, you will need to put one tablespoon of butter and olive oil in a large skillet and heat them over high heat.
- Add squash to the skillet and then sprinkle with salt, chili powder and pepper. Allow it to cook for several minutes while turning gently with a spatula. The squash should turn to deep golden brown and become tender. After that, put it on a plate and set it aside.
- Put the broth in a saucepan and then heat it over low heat, and then keep it warm.
- Put two tablespoons of butter to the same skillet and then heat it over medium-low heat. After that, add onions and then allow them to cook for two to three minutes until they become translucent. Follow up with the Arborio rice and then stir, and then allow it to cook for 1 minute.
- Once you have done that, you will need to reduce heat to low. After doing that, begin adding broth to the skillet in one cup increments while stirring to combine. When the liquid has disappeared, add in one more cup of broth. Continue adding the broth while stirring gently for the broth to incorporate and the rice to become tender. You will need to add salt and pepper along the way.
- After adding about five cups of broth, taste the rice to see what the consistency is. If needed, add another one to two cups of broth in order to to get the rice to the right consistency.
- After making sure that the rice is tender, add in turmeric and the cooked squash and stir it in gently and follow up with the cream and parmesan shavings. Stir until it is just combined and then taste. If needed, add more salt and pepper and then sprinkle minced parsley over the top.
Risotto is very delicious enough on its own. But when you add in butternut squash, it becomes perfect and flavorful. You will be making it over and over again. The good thing about it is that all ingredients that can found very easily.