If you are looking for a new recipe to try in your kitchen, this one for preparing mini sweet potato pies will be great. The mini pies are very easy to make and yummy. They will be great for a holiday dinner party or sweet appetizers to accompany any meal. You guests or family will love them. No one can resist these adorable mini pies because they are very delicious. The ingredients that are used to make them are totally healthy, so you can eat as many of them as you want without worrying that they might have a negative effect on your health. One of the ingredients that are used is meringue. It is naturally fat free and is a great way to add sweetness to them without increasing the points per serving. If you are planning to host a thanksgiving party giving the next day, you can make them the mini pies the day before and then top the meringue before serving. They will not go bad if you preserve them well.
Mini Sweet Potato Pies Recipe
This mini sweet potato pies will make an amazing thanksgiving dessert. They are also perfect for Sunday supper to eat with your family. You will not believe just how easy and quick they are to prepare. They will not take much of your time.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 12
- 12 graham cracker crumb tart shells (2 4-oz pkg)
- 1 teaspoon of water
- 1 egg white (lightly beaten)
- 2/3 cup of whipping cream
- 2 23 ounce can of sweet potatoes (drained)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- First and foremost, you will need to preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and then put the tart shells in a 15 by 10 by 1 inch baking pan.
- Once you have done that, take a small bowl and then combine egg whites and water. You will need to brush the beaten egg white over crusts and then allow them to bake for about 5 minutes. After that, set them aside to cool.
- Next, you will need to take a large bowl and then combine the sweet potatoes and whipping cream for filling. Mash and stir them until they become very smooth and then add in the maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice and egg yolks and then stir again.
- Spoon-fill the mixture in the tart shells and then allow it to bake for about 30 minutes. After that, place it on a wire rack and then allow it to cool for about 2 hours.
- While the mixture you placed in the tart shells continues to cool, preheat the broiler and then combine sugar, vanilla, four egg whites and salt in the top of double broiler for meringue. You will need to beat it with an electric mixer at low speed for about 30 seconds and then put it over boiling water. Make sure that the upper pan does not touch water.
- Allow the meringue mixture to cook while beating it constantly with an electric mixer at the high speed setting for about 8 to 10 minutes. The mixture should become fluffy or be able to hold soft peaks. Cook until the temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit on the instant read thermometer.
- After that, you will need to remove the mixture from heat and then beat if for 30 seconds more while scraping the sides and bottom part of the pan.
- Next, you will need to mound the meringue mixture onto the baked pies to form peaks and then broil five to six inches from heat for about 1 to 2 minutes. The top part of the pies should become lightly browned.
- Once that is done, cool the pies on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before serving.
As you can see, it is not complicated at all to make the mini sweet potato pies. They are sweet appetizers that can serve at dinner parties or any day as a treat for your family. They will be a nice, sweet little change from the traditional sweet potato pies that you are used to. You will definitely be making them again in future if you just try them once. And since they are very easy to make, you will not waste a lot of your valuable time on them.