Food recipes have a lot of benefits when it comes to preparing meals. They can help you save money by being able to prepare meals that you can only get in fancy restaurants. When you eat at a restaurant, you not only pay for the food, but also for the costs of running that business. You will spend a lot of money on a little amount of food that would not even satisfy you. But when you use recipes to prepare the same food at home, you will have plenty of it to eat with the entire family. Apart from saving money, recipes can also help you save time when preparing meals. There are simple meals that can cook in less than thirty minutes. Even if the recipe is complex or involves complex ingredients that take more time to cook, you can prepare the food in plenty and eat the surplus later on.
In this article, we take a look how sweet potato and chickpea curry is prepared.
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry
This is a really nice vegetarian curry that you will definitely enjoy. Here is how it is prepared.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes to 1 hour
- Servings: 4 people
- 1 tablespoonful of oil
- 1 tablespoonful of cumin seeds
- 1 onion (finely sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoonful chili flakes (to taste)
- 600g tinned chickpeas, undrained weight
- 50g root ginger (peeled and grated)
- 200g rice
- 1 x 400g tin tomatoes
- 750g sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
How to Prepare
- Get a large saucepan and heat it for some time over medium heat and then add the oil.
- After making sure that the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and then allow then to fry for about one minute. They should look aromatic.
- Next, you will need to add the onion together with a pinch of salt and then allow the ingredients to cook for about five to six minutes. The onion should look soft and translucent.
- After that, you will need to add garlic, ginger and chilli flakes to the mixture and then fry it for an extra three minutes.
- The next thing that you will need to do is drain and then rinse the chickpeas, and then add them to the pan with the tomatoes as well as the sweet potato.
- Add enough water (about 500ml). Make sure that it covers the sweet potatoes and chickpeas and then bring to a simmer as you stir in order to mix everything together.
- After that, cover the food with a lid and then allow it to simmer over medium or low heat. Make sure that you stir it now and again for about 40 minutes. The potatoes should become soft or start breaking apart and the sauce should thicken.
- Top up the ingredients with some more water if needed. Meanwhile, prepare the rice according to the instructions indicated on the packet.
- Once you have done that, taste the curry and then season it to taste with pepper and salt, and then serve it with rice.
As you can see from the above recipe, preparing sweet potato and chickpea curry is not hard at all. It is something that you can easily do right from your kitchen. You can include additions to the recipe or subtract from it depending on your preferences and you will still be able to have a nice meal to enjoy with your family. For instance, if you do not have chickpeas, you can substitute them with pinto beans and it will still be a great meal.